You know what?
I DO want to take away your guns.
I want to take away every gun from every person in the entire United States.
I want to make a record of all guns and THEN I want you to earn the right to have your guns back.
How do you earn the right to have a gun?
- You must pass a rigorous class to ensure you know what you are doing with this device – you know, like driver’s education.
- You must pass a test to ensure you know the rules of how others will interact with you and this device – you know, like a driving test
- You must have locked cabinets to store these devices so that ONLY people who have passed 1 and 2 can access said device – you know, like locks on the door to your house
- A trigger lock must be installed so that ONLY the registered owner can use said device, you know, like a heavy equipment operator’s permit
- You must not be on a watch list, have a mental illness, been legally told you can’t have a gun or whatever other rules are currently in place, you know, like having the right requirements for a job
- You must pass a background check, you know like we should have in place for gun owners
- You must renew ALL of the above every 10 years, you know like a US passport
- You must have 3 people who will be on call 24 hours a day so when you need to work out your demons, you will have someone available and won’t need to rely on a gun.
I am SURE the NRA will help with the process. After all, they believe in the science of guns. Remember, they were started because:
Dismayed by the lack of marksmanship shown by their troops, Union veterans Col. William C. Church and Gen. George Wingate formed the National Rifle Association in 1871. The primary goal of the association would be to “promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis,” according to a magazine editorial written by Church.
In fact, how about we please read the last paragraph from the “A brief history of the NRA from www.nra.org take to heart what George Stephanopoulus said and remember, if THEY can be good citizens, so can we.
“While widely recognized today as a major political force and as America’s foremost defender of Second Amendment rights, the NRA has, since its inception, been the premier firearms education organization in the world. But our successes would not be possible without the tireless efforts and countless hours of service our nearly five million members have given to champion Second Amendment rights and support NRA programs. As former Clinton spokesman George Stephanopoulos said, “Let me make one small vote for the NRA. They’re good citizens. They call their congressmen. They write. They vote. They contribute. And they get what they want over time.”
oh and more more thing that I think could really make a difference:
Your grandmother must agree that it is a good idea for you to have a gun.
What say you? Are you with me?